ant-dev mailing list archives

From J Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Ivy - Goals for the upcoming release?
Date Sun, 21 May 2017 14:28:45 GMT
The past few days I’ve sent some PRs for bug fixes and some enhancements in preparation for
the proposed release of Ivy. Thanks Nicolas for reviewing them and merging those that were
good enough.

I’ve been using this JIRA filter [1] to narrow down on the issues to look into. That filter
essentially is of “open issues that affect 2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.3.0 or 2.4.0 and have been updated/created
since Jan 1st 2014”. So it should cover most of the issues that we probably should look
into (doesn’t necessarily mean fix all of them, but just to check if any of them are big
enough to focus on).

I’ve also sent one PR for upgrading our internal library dependencies and plan to send a
couple more for similar upgrades. My intention is to use the latest released versions of these
dependencies instead of sticking with dependencies that are years old. My intention _isn’t_
to upgrade to a version that isn’t API backward compatible, so these upgrades are mostly
bug fixes and should be “drop-in upgrades”.

I would be really glad to hear any thoughts about these changes or any other/different plans,
that can get us to a releasable state in the near future, especially from members/users who
have been involved with Ant/Ivy project in the past or present. Ultimately, I think if we
can agree on a goal for the upcoming release, it will help release something that will set
the right expectation with the end users when it comes to using it. My opinion is that we
consider this release to push out some bug fixes and internal upgrades and _not_ introduce
any major features unless those are reasonably quick to implement. Once this release is done
and (hopefully some of the) community gets back behind the Ivy project, we can always introduce
major features in subsequent releases.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20IVY%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20affectedVersion%20in%20(2.1.0%2C%202.2.0%2C%202.3.0%2C%202.4.0%2C%202.4.0-RC1)%20AND%20updated%20%3E%3D%202014-01-01%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC

-Jaikiran