ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy+IvyDE: help wanted
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 20:39:48 GMT

> Le 16 mai 2017 à 13:11, J Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Thanks Jan for initiating this.
>
> On the ICLA front -  I already have contributed and continue to contribute to some other
Apache projects (these days mostly via github). Do I still have to sign the ICLA? Is there
a way to check if I have already signed this ICLA previously? I don’t remember if I was
asked to do that for the other Apache projects.

> As for patches, I had submitted one a while back and need someone to review it https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/pull/10/files.
>
> Few other things:
>
> - As I have noted in the past, in some mails[1] to the dev list, I am willing to help
out in whatever way I can to move the project forward. As noted in some of those mails, I
in no way have the complete understanding of the current codebase, but am willing to invest
time as I go along to help fixing issues and adding enhancements wherever I can. One of the
recent things I had attempted was to triage some issues in the Ivy JIRA and see if we can
come to a decision on pushing out a new release with at least a few of them fixed. That discussion
did get some community discussion but couldn’t achieve much given that there wasn’t any
actionable involvement from those who could really do a release. In short, I would like to
give this another try and see how it goes.

Thank you Jaikiran. I hope this time this will work out.

I wanted to make things happen at the beginning of the year, but for some reason I lost motivation
to do so. This time I’ll try better. I may not drive things, but I’ll get time to do some
code review and merge things. Let’s go forward releases. If there are list of things people
want to us to merge, it is the time to do so.

And so I have reviewed the PR #10. It's very good. Thank you. I merged it. It was just missing
an update in the release notes, which I took care of.

Nicolas

> - From a development point of view, given that there aren’t many who are familiar with
the codebase, it would really help build some kind of confidence level in submitted patches,
if the github repo was backed by the usual PR processing mechanism that’s associated with
many other Apache projects out there. What I mean is, submission of each PR triggering the
builds, testcases through a build automation tool (like Jenkins) and reporting back with any
issues with existing test cases.

> - Finally, IMO, given how long this project has gone without any development or a release,
I think it would be good to really aim for a release in the next few months. It doesn’t
have to contain too many fixes or enhancements, but something to get the release train going
and making contributors feel it’s worth their time.

> On the IvyDE front, I think in the past few months there was a community member who did
do a good job, IMO, to make sure the builds are back to working, so I think that project too
has seen someone who’s willing to help.