ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Ivy - any future or is it also going to be retired?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2016 10:22:17 GMT

On Monday 05 December 2016 01:25 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:
> We see Ivy as a widely used component. We use archiving some components to recalibrate
our focus.
> I don't think that we want to archive Ivy in the near future. Instead we try to push
Ivy.

> If you want to help with Ivy, you're welcome.
I have tried more than once (in this very own mailing list), but without
someone who "owns" the project and has the time and dedication to
develop and release the project, the questions/efforts have gone no where.

> "It's already a challenge to stick with Ivy build system itself given the lack of fixes/releases/responses."
> What are the problems you think are resolved with new Ivy releases?
Right now I don't have specific bugs that are open that impact me or the
project I use. I do have some enhancements that I would like to be done.
But the real issue I have with the Ivy project is, its development has
practically gone stagnant. I have been watching the JIRA reports (there
are some open issue for over a year which are big ones) and have been
watching the mailing list and based on that, my opinion is that Ivy is
no longer being developed. When there's no community around a project
and the fact that there have been no releases (last one was 2 years back
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/2.4.0/release-notes.html) for a while
or any indication that there will be one anytime, it's hard to
rationalize using that project (as critical as a build system).

I can understand that projects have a lifetime and it's reasonable to
expect that after a certain period it may no longer be feasible to put
in efforts into it. I don't know if that's the case with Ivy. But every
time I ask about the roadmap/future, the answer seems to suggest that it
does have a future. However, with more than a year since I last asked
this question (in this mailing list) and with no real development or
releases during that period, I don't believe that's the case.

-Jaikiran