ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy - any future or is it also going to be retired?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2016 11:08:01 GMT

On Monday 05 December 2016 04:17 PM, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> An innocent bystander's opinion (I'm not an ivy / ant developer, but
> I'm active in the Apache Subversion community): First of all, this is
> a volunteer-driven open source project.
I completely understand.

>   You're entirely free to use it
> or to use something else ... no hard feelings. Second, I'm guessing
> the ivy (and ant) project would very much welcome extra hands. So if
> this project is important to you, and you want a release to happen ...
> why don't you join the effort and help drive it. IMHO, if serious
> projects need it, they should also put in serious time, and start
> scratching some of their own itches (and, you know, become a
> substantial part of the active community you're asking for here).
Like I said in my mails, I've tried. Anyway, here's some previous mails
where I tried [1] [2] [3].

> If right now the problem is "there is noone able to create / manage
> new releases" (but some people are still around to watch over the code
> and fix bugs), maybe someone can step up specifically for the job of
> release manager ...
It's not just that - it's one thing assigning some release manager and
another to have someone/team who knows the in and outs of the project
and has a vision for that project and makes relevant design decisions.
Me? I can provide patches and fixes and enhancements for whatever little
knowledge I gain by looking at existing code, but my experience with Ivy
is just limited to the past few years when I started using it as a user.

Overall, I think my concern is not about why there's no activity in Ivy
project but the fact that it's being advertised as a project which has a
future, but as someone who's using/trying to use it, there's really
nothing to look forward to in terms of roadmap or releases or development.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=143702067424412&w=2
[2] http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=143765756710466&w=2
[3] http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=144026083515049&w=2

-Jaikiran