ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Haberman <stephen.haber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap, goals, future of Ivy?
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:10:08 GMT
Hi Jaikiran,

FWIW I've made similar complaints about inactivity on Ivy, and suggested
awhile ago that Ivy needs a new group of committers/contributors who are
willing/able to put the time into the project.

But nothing has happened.

Which I found somewhat ironic, because I watched Apache Spark go through
the incubation process, and Spark already had an extremely healthy open
source community. And yet they were still occasionally lectured about "the
Apache Way" of nurturing a healthy community/project.

Which is fine, totally understood the Apache people were just trying to
help Spark's long-term success; but then when I look at projects like Ivy,
which is extremely widely used (embedded in Gradle, sbt, pants, used
standalone via Ant, etc.), but the developer community is basically dead,
well, it makes me wonder where the "Apache Way" zealots are and what went
wrong.

(Ant has a huge user base, but I'd actually assert more new projects are
using Ivy, than are using Ant, *but* it's also very likely new project
usage of Ivy is primarily via being embedded in Gradle/sbt/etc., and not
standalone.)

To me there is no harm in admitting when contributors who have done a great
job over the years, are just busy with new things, and some fresh blood is
needed.

Totally understood you can't just grant commit rights to whoever submits a
pull request. But it seems like some sort of purposeful effort to steward
new committers/loosen the reins a bit would be worthwhile for the long term
health of the project.

Also, I don't mean to offend anyone; we use Ivy extensively at work, and it
works great. I don't think anyone involved in Ant/Ivy is doing a "bad job",
I think it's just a matter of recognizing the reality of the community's
state, and dispassionately deciding what can be done about it.

- Stephen