ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rm Beer <rmbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible Ivy bug (and suggested fix) in ChainResolver
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 03:33:38 GMT
what?? what is all this?? it seems spam!

2015-03-29 23:35 GMT-03:00 Antoine Levy Lambert <antoine@gmx.de>:

> Hello Loren,
>
> thanks for digging into all this.
>
> It might not be a good thing for softwares like ivy which have a lot of
> users in the wild to change defaults - because people like to be able to
> upgrade and still have an old behavior, but making the needed behaviors
> possible at least should be done.
>
> Your point 2 makes sense to me though, if two artifacts have as version
> 1.0-SNAPSHOT we should compare their timestamp.
>
> Point 3 your help will be welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Antoine
>
>
>
> On Mar 25, 2015, at 3:00 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >
> >> From: LKratzke@blueorigin.com
> >> To: dev@ant.apache.org
> >> Subject: RE: Possible Ivy bug (and suggested fix) in ChainResolver
> >> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 18:16:08 +0000
> >>
> >> I found the root cause of the fishiness. It was not a bug (and was not
> actually in ChainResolver) but is in my opinion a rather unfortunate and
> poorly chosen default setting that is to blame (the latest-strategy).
> >>
> >> During resolution in the chain resolver, the current sub-resolver tries
> to determine whether it should be skipped and the previous artifact be
> selected over the current artifact. Assuming that the "force" and "dynamic"
> tests do not result in an early rejection of the current artifact, the
> "latest" of the two artifacts is selected by sorting the artifacts in a
> List using a Comparator suited to the current latest-strategy
> (latest-revision, latest-time, etc).
> >>
> >> The problem here is quite simple. The default latest-strategy is
> "latest-revision". So when a second artifact has been resolved, and it is
> of the same revision as the first, nothing gets sorted. The result is that
> you will get the first artifact found based upon the ordering of your
> repositories in the chain instead of the newer of the two artifacts.
> >>
> >> I think that either latest-time needs to be the default strategy or the
> latest revision comparator needs to do a secondary sort to sort by
> lastModified time.
> >>
> >> Possibly allow configuration of this behavior (should there be a
> secondary sort by time to avoid stale artifacts, or not so that repository
> order breaks the tie). This is important (critical) behavior and should be
> configurable.
> >>
> >> Defaulting to latest-revision will not only deliver undesired stale
> artifacts, but it is unclear to the user why they are getting stale
> artifacts or how to make it stop happening. The latest-time strategy will
> give you the latest revision 99% of the time and the latest artifact 100%
> of the time. But the latest-revision strategy will give you the latest
> artifact 100%, 50%, 33%, or 25% of the time when the revision numbers are
> the same, depending upon how many resolvers you have (1/n), and assuming
> that any repository may contain the latest artifact.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, the docs do not give a great description of "force". I
> learned much about the actual behavior of this attribute while debugging.
> First thing I learned was that it is not a good name.
> >>
> >> What force actually does is it allows a resolver to be considered when
> a previous resolver has found an artifact. After the first artifact has
> been found, only repositories with force=true will have a chance of
> competing (for instance, they might have a newer version of
> 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT). Otherwise, they are discarded immediately and no date
> comparison is attempted.
> >>
> >> Force should actually be named "considerAlways" or "considerAnyway".
> That seems to be a more suitable name. No action requested here, but
> pointing out that this attribute has a misleading name.
> >>
> >> Summary:
> >> 1 - Please reconsider changing the default latest-strategy to be
> latest-time.
> >>
> >> 2 - Please consider adding a secondary "lastModified" sort to
> LatestRevisionStrategy.ArtifactInfoComparator whether or not you change the
> default latest-strategy to latest-time or not.
> >>
> >> 3 - Please document, illustrate, and demonstrate in one place the
> behaviors of chain resolver in combination with force, returnFirst,
> defaultLatestStrategy, ivy.resolver.default.check.modified, useOrigin, and
> other settings and attributes that affect resolution behavior. (I am
> working on this document now.)
> >>
> >> 4 - Please consider creating independent caches by default for each
> repository. I have not drilled down on this issue yet, but I suspect that
> it fixes serious cache collision issues that I think I saw while debugging
> (found and selected local repo artifact, checked cache before delivery,
> ended up delivering cached stale artifact that came from a totally
> different repo :( ).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> L.K.
> >
> > MG>i think we can take hints from maven brothers on a tested strategy
> > MG>to referencing dev jars during development..their solution is to
> employ SNAPSHOT version during CI cycles
> > MG>SNAPSHOTs are available until the jar is promoted to RELEASE at which
> point a tag is assigned to version
> > MG>SNAPSHOT delivers ${project.id}-YYYYMMDD.hhmmss.jar so unless you
> have multiple machines able to gen
> > MG>deployables within a second the last second is the arbiter which
> clearly identifies the latest jar
> > MG>Snapshot versions are ephemeral until the next snapshot build so
> remote lookup would not be implemented
> >
> http://books.sonatype.com/mvnref-book/reference/pom-relationships-sect-pom-syntax.html
> >
> > MG>repository caches when stored within a regular Nexus Repository are
> typed as Proxy/Hosted/Virtual
> > MG>ProxyApache,ProxyCentral or ProxyCodehaus
> > MG>Hosted3rdParty,HostedRelease,HostedSnapshot
> > MG>VirtualRepo (Virtual repos are generally for OSGI bundles)
> > MG>Once you know the general type Proxy or Hosted or Virtual you can
> then select sub-type (such as Hosted3rdParty,HostedRelease,HostedSnapshot)
> >
> https://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/confignx-sect-manage-repo.html
> > MG>thank you for taking the necessary time to think this through
> >
> >>
> >> From: Loren Kratzke
> >> Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:09 PM
> >> To: 'dev@ant.apache.org'
> >> Subject: Possible Ivy bug (and suggested fix) in ChainResolver
> >>
> >> I have a some observations about how the chain resolver selects a
> dependency. I think this may be a bug but I am not sure because the intent
> of the source code is not entirely clear. It reads one way, but behaves in
> a different way. I have pinpointed the exact spots in code where this
> happens.
> >>
> >> Here is my simple test setup used to debug this issue. I have two
> resolvers (Filesystem and URL) configured in a ChainResolver in that order.
> I publish to one resolver and then the other repeatedly and consume the
> result in another project. I use checkModified=true and
> changingPattern=".*" on both resolvers.
> >>
> >> My artifact is simply a text file with the current date and time so it
> is easy to see whether you get fresh or stale artifacts from the repos.
> >>
> >> When I consume the published artifact from the other project, I will
> get the artifact from the first configured resolver in the chain
> (Filesystem in this case). But I know from debugging that the second
> resolver is also evaluated. So as an experiment, I added force="true" on
> the second resolver to see if I could force Ivy to ignore the first result
> and favor an artifact returned by the second resolver. Instead, Ivy
> returned the artifact from the first resolver even though the second
> artifact was newer AND the second resolver had force="true".
> >>
> >> When I debugged this to see why the first artifact was chosen over the
> second artifact, I found something very fishy.
> >>
> >> ChainResolver.getDependency() iterates over each resolver in the chain.
> First it found the Filesystem resolver and the artifact and next it found
> the URL resolver and artifact. Next it calls BasicResolver.getDependency()
> which will compare the previously resolved artifact with the current
> artifact.
> >>
> >> This is where it gets very fishy. At the end of the getDependency()
> method it calls AbstractResolver.checkLatest() which I assume is intended
> to return the latest of the two artifacts. But that comparison never
> happens. AbstractResolver.isAfter is invoked with two artifacts to be
> compared and a null Date. Since the date is null, the two artifacts are
> never compared and no matter what, the first artifact will be returned and
> the second one discarded and a verbose message will be emitted stating that
> the second artifact is older than the first artifact, every time. The
> message is on line 533 of AbstractResolver. (I am looking at Ivy-2.3.0 so
> if that line does not make sense on trunk then let me know.)
> >>
> >>    Message.debug("\tmodule revision kept as younger: " + newModuleDesc);
> >>    saveModuleRevisionIfNeeded(dd, newModuleFound);
> >>    return newModuleFound;
> >>
> >> The message is not true. The artifact that was kept was the older of
> the two and a comparison of lastModified never happened (and never can
> happen in the current code as far as I can tell).
> >>
> >> So the actual logic in AbstractResolver.checkLatest() simply returns
> the first artifact found. While this is not a bad behavior, it does not
> seem like it is the intended behavior. I mean, why go through all the
> trouble of pretending to compare two artifacts using date methods when the
> logic never executes because the passed in Date object is null. And why
> emit a message stating that one was determined to be older than the other.
> That is super fishy.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, the next line in ChainResolver.getDependency() after
> resolver.getDependency() is called (ChainResolver line105) references
> isReturnFirst(). That is fishy because none of that matters any more. The
> current artifact was rejected on the previous line of code and the previous
> (aka first) artifact is now the current artifact and is the one that will
> be returned (without a date comparison, and for the arbitrary reason that
> is was found before the other one).
> >>
> >> I think that the intent of the null Date object is to compare each
> artifact to a static Date configured elsewhere (I have no idea where), but
> if the code were to actually compare the lastModified dates of the two
> artifacts, a useful result would happen - Ivy would return the latest
> artifact from across multiple repositories.
> >>
> >> That is huge because I have never been able to get Ivy to do this. I
> have never seen anybody get Ivy to search multiple repositories and return
> the latest artifact. This is useful for local development when you publish
> locally to consume locally modified artifacts. It would be nice to have the
> option of picking up newer artifacts from a central repo when those occur
> without having to blow away a local repository and its cache.
> >>
> >> (By the way, giving my local repo its own cache seems to have solved
> some other strange issues I was having. I recommend this to everybody and I
> think it should be a default in Ivy, but that is debatable and would need
> some more research and concensus.)
> >>
> >> I think that this is a good feature and should be configurable. I think
> possibly it was intended to be configured via
> ChainResolver.returnFirst="true|false" but that code executed when it was
> too late and the decision had already been made. If I were to make this a
> feature, and make it configurable, I would configure this using an
> attribute named returnFirst because that is the exact facet of
> functionality that we are talking about here.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your attention. Hope I am helping here. I am considering
> coding this to see if it works as expected. I would be happy to report my
> results and provide a patch if anybody is interested in evaluating this.
> >>
> >> L.K.
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message