ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Git workflow
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 23:38:20 GMT
Hi guys,

I am discovering a little bit of the extends of git, and it seems there are a lot of ways
to handle branches and pull requests. Maybe we should all use the same way ?

For instance, to get commits from one branch to the other, I have seen two ways: via merge
or via cherry-pick.
Since our branches are meant to diverge à some point, I think using cherry-pick should be
used, right ?

And about merging pull request, there is the direct pull, for instance:
git pull https://github.com/jbaruch/ant-ivy <https://github.com/jbaruch/ant-ivy> patch-1

And there is the rebase way, exemple:
git remote add jbaruch https://github.com/jbaruch/ant-ivy
git checkout -b patch-1 jbaruch/patch-1
git rebase master
git checkout master
git merge --ff-only patch-1

I prefer the later one, because it produce a linear history, even if it quite painful on the
command line. Any preferences ? Am I wrong ? Is there other options ?

Nicolas