ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy slow resolution
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:13:46 GMT

Le 28 avr. 2014 à 13:59, Josh Suereth <joshua.suereth@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On a whim, I implemented parallel download of artifacts by hooking the
> downloadArtifacts
> method of Resolve engine.  While this can potentially speed up download
> performance, the resolution times (getDepedencies) still dominates (of
> course).  Parallel downloads is an often requested feature of sbt, so we
> may still release this hook for our users, as they request it, but I think
> the *really* just want faster resolution times.
>
> We may be doing some investigation into improving the performance of
> getDependencies (and most importantly fetchDependencies).  I was curious if
> anyone else in the Ivy community has attempted this before and what sorts
> of guidance they could offer before we dig in.

This has been discussed, but AFAIR nothing has been done other than discussing the potential
issues to tackle.

Things which would require some attention would be to find a way to properly report the progress
of the parallel download: in the console when it's done via Ant or via the listeners for IvyDE.
A thing that is worrying me, is that Ivy is quite sensitive to which thread is actually working
on the resolve, see IvyContext's thread local. So a parallelization may not be a very upper
level than the artifact downloading.

Nicolas