ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Hoped for advantages of migrating to git
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 13:53:10 GMT

Hello Maarten,

I do not know a lot about git either.

Here are the advantages I see in migrating to git :

- git allows third-parties to clone an original repository and in fact to create a fork while
keeping the possibility of contributing back what they have created if they want to, and also
importantly to incorporate inside their branches changes done elsewhere including in the reference
repository. So I see git as having the same strategic importance for the source code like
the fact of uploading the ant jars to maven central is for the use of the binaries.

- for the developers of the Apache project - us - the small advantages are to be able to commit
stuff locally on our computers before pushing when we are happy with our changes. Also one
can switch branch very quickly within the same workspace when using git, this might be an
advantage.

- because of the popularity of git I imagine that the change is good for the long run but
this is speculation

I imagine that some corporations, individuals,or other open source organizations will take
advantage of our projects moving to git to create these forks, either because the contribution
process via JIRA is too slow, or because they want to create proprietary enhancements, or
because they are not sure that the changes that they do match the views /plans... of our the
Ant/Ivy/Ivyde/Easyant Apache project.

Regards,

Antoine