ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Incomplete md5/sha* Files for The Latest Apache Ant Distribution
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:41:10 GMT
Thanks Mark

Hi Stan

> On 26/08/2013 02:41, Stan Borinski wrote:

> The .md5, .sha1, and .sha512 files for the latest Apache ANT
> distributions are incomplete:  they’re missing the type character (e.g.,
> ‘*’ for binary) and name of the distribution file itself.  That is, they
> don’t include “*apache-ant-1.9.2-bin.tar.bz2” (or other distribution
> filename) after the hash.

Unfortunately there is no standard format for checksum files at all.  If
you create md5sums using gpg or the BSD md5 program you'll get a
different format from the one you've described.  On FreeBSD you'd get

MD5: {apache-ant-1.9.2-bin.tar.bz2} = the-checksum

For historical reasons Ant's checksums have always been just the plain
checksums without any file name - it's not just the last release.

In general we heavily recommend you verify the PGP signature which
in addition to several other advantages really has a standard format to
comply with - unlike the MD5 checksum.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message