ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Suggestion - JUnit4 tests for Ant
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2013 00:32:37 GMT
Hi Michael,

this sounds like a great idea.

I do not know whether Ant is mirrored in GitHub, so far the process has been to create bug
reports in bugzilla with the patches attached.

I know that this is not always working in terms of having the patches be actually checked
in but this is the only process I am aware of at the moment for non committers.

Welcome to migrate BuidFileTest to JUnit 4. By the way I did not notice any attachment to
the email.

Regards,

Antoine
On Mar 7, 2013, at 3:48 PM, Michael Clarke wrote:

> I'd like to make a proposal around unit testing the Ant core.
>
> Whilst Ant has support for JUnit4, most of the unit tests are written against JUnit 3.
This itself isn't an issue, although some of the existing test structures prevent new test
being written in JUnit4.

> I'd like to propose introducing some JUnit4 support into Ant's tests. One big possibility
is in BuildFileTest, which currently extends TestCase so limits any extending class to JUnit
3. In my attached patch I've split this into a Junit4 rule - BuildFileRule - and a class to
provide Assert functions not currently in Junit's bundled Asserts. I've also migrated a couple
of existing tests as an example of using these new classes.

> Aside from other features available under JUnit4, this change allows reporting of which
tests are skipped per configuration on the CI  builds (for tests that use JUnit's Assume class
rather than just return). This should make it easy to tell what features are actually being
checked on each build.

> Does anyone have any objection to such a change and, if no objections, should I look
to migrate more classes? I don't have commit access to Ant so would need someone to apply
any patches for me - I'm happy to email them to this list or put the changes into Github (or
similar) for someone to pull if wanted.