ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contributions
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 13:35:46 GMT
On 2013-03-08, Jesse Glick wrote:

> Third, why are we still using Subversion when we could be using Git
> [1]?

Because we never talked about moving, I guess. :-)

> Apache makes us keep the “official” repo on git.apache.org. That is
> lame, especially given the existence of CLAHub [2];

I disagree, I also think the authoritative source of Apache software
should be on systems maintained by the ASF.

As for CLAHub, I pretty much doubt a click on a "I agree" button on a
random web page is even close to a signed piece of paper when courts
have to decide in legal conflicts.  That's just my personal opinion, of
course.

You can have the power of pull requests even when the authoritative
source is the ASF repo, the only thing you lack is the "merge" button in
the UI - but this really doesn't do anything you couldn't do with the
command line.  Pull from the branch that makes up the PR and push it to
the ASF repo.  I've even been told the Github PR system will recognize
the branch has been merged and close the PR as soon as the github mirror
catches up - but I haven't tried it so far.

Stefan