ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request - Native Java "Script" Support
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2012 04:06:39 GMT
On 2012-09-20, Anders Rundgren wrote:

> Beanshell isn't an active project and I don't see any advantage with
> Beanshell compared to native Java.

The main advantage is that is provides ScriptEngine or whatever that is
called, i.e. Ant doesn't have to do anything special to handle it.

I think what Vimil wanted to say when he suggested Groovy is that you
get native Java support by using Groovy as a scripting language.  You
won't notice you are writing Groovy.

Adding support for Java as "scripting language" wouldn't be incredibly
difficult but it had to be done in a completely different way than
<script> (write a temporary file, compile it, add the resulting class to
a classloader, load it).

BTW, .NETs suppport for generating C# classes (or VB for that matter)
and compiling it on the fly is way more sophisticated than what you get
in Java.  This makes the approach look more natural to NAnt's developers
than having Java as a scripting language ever felt to us.

Stefan