ant-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Rundgren <anders.rundg...@telia.com>
Subject Re: Request - Native Java "Script" Support
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:27:10 GMT
On 2012-09-20 15:11, Jeffrey E Care wrote:
> Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com> wrote on 09/20/2012 07:55:13
> AM:
>
>> I haven't tried with Groovy script and my request is really about getting
>> a core feature already verified being useful in NAnt into the default Ant
>> installation so you can ship build scripts to anybody (having an upgraded
>> Ant NB...) without requiring yet another install.
>>
>> It is quite possible that I'm wrong but it seems that this would something
>> like the "javac" and "java" targets combined so 90% of the code should already
>> be in place sort of :-)
>>
>> IMO such a feature could extend the life of Ant considerably.  Nobody can beat
>> the power of a full-blown programming language!
>
> Why not just write a custom task?

Jeffrey,

I guess I knew that this idea wouldn't get a big hooray...

If you had tried NAnt you would probably agree that in-line Java
is cooler than custom tasks because you (can) have the entire script
in one file.

The proposal wasn't to satisfy my own needs but to serve a large base
of Ant users who are considering jumping the ship for Maven and other
tools.

Oh well.

Anders