ant-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Rundgren <>
Subject Request - Native Java "Script" Support
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:11:10 GMT
Dear Ant-Team,
I am an avid Ant user since more than 10 years back and I'm happy to see how it has progressed!

Recently I have begun writing very complex build scripts and found myself craving for a more
programmatic solution which using Ant in standard configurations means using JavaScript or
writing extensions.

In addition, I have also been using .NET tools like NAnt.

In NAnt there is no JavaScript support but there is support for native C#.

I find C# and Java much better for this purpose than JavaScript so my question is really:
Would it be completely unthinkable to add Java as a scripting language?
Since Ant already presumes JDK it doesn't sound completely undoable either.

Beanshell isn't an active project and I don't see any advantage with Beanshell compared to
native Java.

Anders Rundgren

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: