ant-dev mailing list archives

From Vimil Saju <vimils...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Request - Native Java "Script" Support
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:21:04 GMT
Hi Anders,

Have you tried groovy script? I think groovy is completely compatible with java. That is any
valid java code is valid groovy code too.

________________________________
 From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:11 AM
Subject: Request - Native Java "Script" Support

Dear Ant-Team,
I am an avid Ant user since more than 10 years back and I'm happy to see how it has progressed!

Recently I have begun writing very complex build scripts and found myself craving for a more
programmatic solution which using Ant in standard configurations means using JavaScript or
writing extensions.

In addition, I have also been using .NET tools like NAnt.

In NAnt there is no JavaScript support but there is support for native C#.

I find C# and Java much better for this purpose than JavaScript so my question is really:
Would it be completely unthinkable to add Java as a scripting language?
Since Ant already presumes JDK it doesn't sound completely undoable either.

Beanshell isn't an active project and I don't see any advantage with Beanshell compared to
native Java.

Sincerely,
Anders Rundgren