ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject File.toURL() and org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Locator.fileToURL(File)
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:13:12 GMT
When trying to setup the build matrix for Ivy, I got hit by the spaces in the paths for the
tests. It was due to the well known broken File.toURL().
I have done a broadcast search on Ivy and fix it (it was mainly the unit tests which were
broken).

So decided to look into IvyDE too and I have found some quirks too.

And I looked into Ant, it is totally clean except Locator.fileToURL(File)
But then looking at the javadocs, it made me afraid to change anything, especially the javadoc
of the class:
"Be very careful when making changes to this class, as a break will upset a lot of people."
:)
Since we support Java 1.4, and even now 1.5, I see no reason to not replace the implementation
of Locator.fileToURL by a simple file.toURI().toURL(). Am I wrong ? Or is there some code
which rely on the broken behavior ?

Nicolas