ant-dev mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: deprecations
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:45:29 GMT
I agree with Peter.
I think it's important that older 3th party tasks keep working with 1.x releases of Ant.

Maarten

________________________________
 From: Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com>
To: Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>; gudnabrsam@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: deprecations

Just had a quick look at Project.
There are a lot of deprecated methods. However
I do not think that most of them are deprecated correctly.
Users of the api should not have to know about implementation
details and changes to implementation - for example the
FileUtils.getFileUtils().

I downloaded the latest svn trunk version of ant-contrib and
compiled it with -Xlint:deprecation. It uses a fair number of ant
deprecated methods.
Most of the issues could be removed. But... it would mean a new
version of ant-contrib
that would not work with old versions of ant (a very common occurrence).

I would suspect that most 3rd party task collections would have similar issues.

A major problem with the ant api is that is it not well specified
and so it is too big - it included nearly all the ant implementation, but
it is probably too late to fix that now.

So, yes I guess I would be opposed.
However for deprecated methods that need to be removed because it would
be impossible to implement with newer and better implementations, I would
have no problem with (perhaps using an implementation that throws
an UnsupportedOperationException("dead api").

Peter

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>   So does that mean you would be opposed to removing these deprecated items?
>
> Matt
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Peter Reilly
> <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only problem is the there are a lot
>> of tasks out there in the wild that have not
>> been compiled in a very long time. (I know
>> I have uses a number), These
>> will most likely use the deprecated methods,
>> especially in regard to handling of properties
>> and references.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> 2012/8/20 Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Matt
>>>
>>>  as long as there is a new method (or new class) to replace the deprecated method
(or deprectaed class)

>>> Many Thanks for your diligence!
>>> Martin
>>> Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
>>>
>>> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung
einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen
und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von
E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>>> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez l'expéditeur.
N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert
à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant
donné que les email peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.