ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: import remote file
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 02:20:30 GMT
Don't misunderstand: I think a shared, common process is a good thing &
should be encouraged. My problem is more about how that sharing is
implemented by people who only "play" at being release engineers.

Example:

1) Do you care about being able to recreate your builds a week from now? A
month? A year? Five years? Ten years? (Yes, we still service product
releases that have been in the field for 10+ years.)
2) Who owns the infrastructure where that remote, shared resource lives?
  2a) Do you know who has write access to it?
  2b) What policies are in place for auditing access & modification?
  2c) What happens to your build when the URL changes?
  2d) What disaster recovery & business continuity policies are in place
in case the server hosting the remote resource gives up the ghost?
3) Are changes make in a backwards compatible fashion?

This is just off the top of my head.

Now, for some projects none of this is a concern. For other projects these
are inviolable constraints that are necessarily at the forefront of
everything we do.

Are there ways to mitigate these concerns with using a remote resource in
a build? Absolutely: you can clamp down on write access, use versioning,
have SLAs and backups, etc. The take-away message is that there's a lot
more complexity involved to properly support a remote resource than just
chunking it up on a some random web server.

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
carej@us.ibm.com
IBM WebSphere Application Server
WAS Release Engineering