ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Property expansion in macrodef attributes
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:29:03 GMT
On 02/14/2012 07:39 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Most likely you don't want double expansion in most cases.

Right, but how often would you even notice the difference? Usually property values do not
themselves contain interpolable variables, as seen by the fact that this problem
has just been reported twice since macrodef was introduced.

> The biggest problem I see is AntUnit.  Here the macro is defined in a
> different place and we'd need a new release that requires Ant 1.8.3 to
> fix it.

True; so release a new AntUnit - a much smaller user audience than Ant itself I suppose.

> add the attribute to trunk but make trunk's behavior
> default to not expand ${} twice (flagging it as breaking BWC)

This would cause a major problem for the many scripts out there which rely on the current
behavior. They could not run unchanged on 1.9 (and few people will find this
item in the release notes, much less understand its implications); nor could they be fixed
in advance, since the attribute would be rejected by 1.8.x.