ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:55:34 GMT
On 02/13/2012 01:25 PM, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> could Java 7 and NIO 2.0 be a good reason to create Ant 2.0?

While the new java.nio.file.* APIs are indeed valuable for a tool like Ant, I hardly think
a fork or major rewrite is required to take advantage of them. As Stefan
pointed out, it would be as easy as creating a new FileUtils subclass, and for now compiling
it conditionally. Whenever we drop JDK 5 and 6 support and require JDK 7
(which BTW is soon to be available for all major platforms when the Mac version is released),
it will be simple to make that be the standard impl.