ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Property expansion in macrodef attributes
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:13:04 GMT
On 02/12/2012 05:13 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I'm not sure whether the macrodef writer will always know whether she
> wants double-expansion or not.

I would say that if you come across a problem like that mentioned in #42046 then you know
you do not want double expansion and should explicitly turn it off.

In most cases the script calling the macro will be the same as the script defining it, or
at least located in the same project, so I doubt documentation of the macrodef
is an issue; though discoverability of the flag in the macrodef task may be poor even with
a FAQ entry.

If this problem had been noticed when macrodef was first introduced, then single expansion
would be the more intuitive behavior, especially if #29347 were fixed properly
so that ${thing.${choice}} works the way people expect it to, but it is too late to change
the default behavior of macrodef.