ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:36:05 GMT

Le 16 févr. 2012 à 20:47, Bruce Atherton a écrit :

> I'd hope to go further than that in backwards compatibility. I work with a lot of companies
that are:

>    a) resistant to learning new things unless there is a good reason for it (such as
the migration from Apache HTTP Server from 1.x to 2.x to resolve security issues)

>    b) have a number of separate Ant build scripts that follow different standards in
different areas of the company, particularly if they have

> and c) need to have a justification to allocate resources to upgrade and change a working
build to use new features, which standardizing builds across the organization using new features
in a major release that simplify the build system may offer them.

I don't know conclusion you're having there. Such companies shouldn't worry about any new
major version, because they actually do want to stick with the old one for stability purpose.
I guess that the companies which would be troubled is the ones which want to keep up with
the releases, migrations from one version to another should not be too painful.

> You are right about the plugin parser architecture in Ant 1.x, but one of the problems
with it is that there is nothing shipped by default. What I meant was that I would love it
if Ant 2 also represented a point where new builds could think about using a new build format
automatically, just based on file extension or a flag on the command line. That might encourage
new projects to adopt it.

Well, again, I think it's already there, no need to wait for an Ant 2.0 :)
If you add the groovy-front.jar in Ant's boot classpath, write a build.groovy, then a launch
of ant with no parameter on the command line will execute your groovy build script. See ProjectHelperRepository.getProjectHelperForBuildFile(Resource)

Nicolas