ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:50:08 GMT

Le 16 févr. 2012 à 21:08, Bruce Atherton a écrit :

> It has but not for quite a long time. Look in the archives from 2001 to 2003 for "Mutant"[1]
which Conor proposed, and "Myrmidon"[2] which  Peter Donald proposed back in 2000. You can
still find them in the svn repository[3], [4].

> I think there was so much discussion on a new design of Ant that everyone just got exhausted
talking about it. As I recall what finally brought it to a halt was Costin Manolache saying
"Just refactor what you have while retaining backward compatibility."

> The general agreements that I remember, although I haven't trawled the mailing list to
find references, were that backward binary compatibility could only be broken through an Ant
2.0 release, and that Ant 2.0 should do everything in its power to be build file compatible.
The thinking then was an XSLT file could be provided if necessary although at this point I
think we could provide an <upgrade-buildfile> task even if it just ran an XSLT, should
that prove necessary. But I don't think it should be required if possible, at least not for
several minor releases.

I agree, the build file should be maintained compatible. As I wrote earlier a "version" tag
should do the trick if new features need to break it a little bit, no version tag would mean
it is a <2.0 build file.

> This is a new group of Ant developers, though, and they may make different decisions
than the ones back then did. If we find volunteers willing to step forward to help with the
code. I can do the infrastructure things like setting up a place to put everything in subversion,
perhaps in ant/sandbox/{some code name}. Any suggestions? All I can think of is pezant or
something similarly punny. It could just be ant2proposal.

If it goes further, I will be happy to keep a eye around and discuss about it but I won't
be able to write any code.

Nicolas