ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2 design (was Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0?)
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:48:23 GMT
Of course you are right, and initially parallelism and distributed
builds will probably not be in the initial alpha release (unless it is
on someones scratching list). Just getting something to run existing
build files reliably will be fine.

But you have suggested that we tag build files that require Ant 2
features with something that identifies them as requiring Ant 2. I think
this is reasonable for the leap from Ant 1 to Ant 2, but one thing HTML
has shown is that version numbers are an anti-pattern, which is why the
DOCTYPE for HTML5 has done away with them (although that introduced its
own "version" ie. no version). What is important is the list of features
that are needed to interpret and run the file correctly.

One can imagine a version tag listing Ant 2 as a minimum for a build
file with an attribute for a comma separated list of the features that
are required from Ant for the build. With this and the kind of packaging
system that OSGI and possibly Java 8 will introduce, Ant could
dynamically configure itself to load the parallelizing implementation of
the state machine or the distributed implementation.

So long as the design is flexible enough that the kinds of usecases that
Dominique and Gilles are suggesting can be implemented eventually, then
the KISS principle can still be followed.

I would also note that features like DSLs for custom builds, automatic
parallelism, and distribution to a fault tolerant cluster are exactly
the kinds of features that would allow many users that I know of to
justify allocating resources to rewrite major build scripts.