ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Ant 2 design (was Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0?)
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:47:33 GMT
This too I find a great idea. Multicores mean we need more ways of
exploiting parallelism, particularly if they can be identified
automatically by the application.

For backward compatibility it would have to be optional, though, either
specified on the command line or at the build file level or using a
different kind of target tag. Of course, the additional information you
suggest on targets would make that the case anyway, but in some cases I
think we might be able to automate it based just on what we have if the
build system is written properly so that dependencies on targets that
provide needed resources are explicitly identified.

Too many build systems in my experience rely on the order the
dependencies are resolved on a higher order target rather than
explicitly identifying dependencies on the targets that they are
required on. This despite the fact that we have some language somewhere
that you can't rely on the order of resolution of the dependencies.
Sometimes that has proved a requirement to avoid targets that depended
on each other, but I've seen it used as a shortcut instead far too often.

Creating Ant clusters is also a great idea, at least to plan for.
Perhaps something like Zookeeper to coordinate builds and a message bus
like ActiveMQ or perhaps better QPid to schedule and report back to
other nodes on the results.

The idea of turning the dependency tree into a state machine is also
interesting. It would combine the tree and the resolving of the tree
with execution of tasks into a single entity. I worry, though, that some
flexibility in our current system might be lost if the two portions are
combined into one. Perhaps not. It could also introduce the possibility
of cycles. Currently the dependency tree gets executed as a DAG but
there have been a lot of requests for looping which a state machine
could more easily support.