ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:04:31 GMT
This brings up a point to consider if a rewrite is desired. Ant has
always avoided relying on external libraries because it is usually the
first thing in the build chain. It can't have any dependencies itself if
it is to be self-building. There are tasks that require external
libraries to be compiled, yes, but they are all optional. That is why
there is a bootstrap build before the full build. The only libraries you
can rely on being there are the ones that ship with the JRE.

This could change in Ant 2 if people wanted but I think we'd need a
strategy for it.  For example, there was a lot of talk at one point
about moving the package name from org.apache.tools.ant.* to
org.apache.ant.*. Doing this would allow both Ant 1.x and Ant 2 to exist
in the same program (like IDEs), and it would allow a bootstrap Ant 1.x
to build Ant 2. Doing that would allow the use of libraries.

I'm sure there could be other solutions as well, but I don't think
anyone should automatically assume that non-optional libraries will be
available until it is decided that that will happen. Assuming anything
happens.