ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 18:25:30 GMT
I actually wanted to discuss Java 7 on the list. I went through its
features a while ago and got really excited when I read through NIO 2.0.
It does so much that Ant has to struggle with, and so much that Ant
can't do.

I spent some time starting to implement a very simple (only a few tasks)
new version of Ant that started from Java 7. Personal issues have taken
me out of the game for a while, but I've still been wondering, could
Java 7 and NIO 2.0 be a good reason to create Ant 2.0?

I realize I am violating "Shut up and show me the code". While I
personally won't be able to help much for the foreseeable future, I've
seen communities be revitalized by creating a new codebase. It attracts
new committers who have been annoyed by the previous bug/feature
combinations and get excited about the possibilities of helping to
create a new codebase. Cocoon did it twice, although I wouldn't
recommend that because the people attracted by Cocoon 2.2 went away
because they felt their efforts were wasted thanks to Cocoon 3.0.

It could be a way to sweep away the kind of cruft that is holding up the
release and to redesign Ant to reflect all the lessons learned about how
to build software in the last 10 years. Or it could be I'm the only one
who read through the NIO 2.0 features and instantly thought about
rewriting Ant.

What do you guys think about it?