ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: NIO 2.0 == Ant 2.0? was Re: Java NIO support
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:57:29 GMT

Le 14 févr. 2012 à 20:02, Bruce Atherton a écrit :

> On 2/14/2012 6:13 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>> This will lead us to the discussion of what Ant2 would be.  A rewritten
>> Ant that remains compatible (or mostly so) on the build file level or
>> something quite different?
>>

> My opinion.
>
> I think we need at least an option for being backwards compatible at the build file level
and it should be the default for quite a while after an initial 2.0 release.

A simple trick can be a declaration of a "version" attribute which would declare the minimum
Ant version required to run the build file, and also declare how it should be interpreted.
This is how it works for the ivy.xml for instance.

> I'd hope, though, that a redesign would have a fully pluggable parser so that even with
the first release there was an option to use something other than XML.

I think you can already today, there are some experiments which show it works [1] [2]. The
names of the classes of Ant may not be explicit, but I think the abstraction is there.

Nicolas

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/javafront/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/groovyfront/