ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK 1.4 after 1.8.3
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:48:29 GMT

Le 27 janv. 2012 à 19:42, Jesse Glick a écrit :

> As suggested in 1.8.3 thread, I propose we drop JDK 1.4 support in trunk after Ant 1.8.3
is released. It is long past EOL <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html>
and cumbersome to even get installed for testing. (Note that JDK 5 is also past EOL, but I
am not proposing dropping JDK 5 support in this vote.)

> Switching trunk sources to assume JDK 5 would, among other things, permit use of generics
to make code clearer. It is also possible that annotations could be used to document tasks/types
and their configuration. And of course there are various API enhancements that may be of use;
a search for "jdk1.5" in build.xml shows some things that could be simplified, and there is
likely more that would be used if it were easy to do so.

> [X] +1: announce that 1.8.3 will be the last version of Ant to support JDK 1.4, and after
it is branched, permit trunk sources to assume JDK 5+, updating CI jobs accordingly

+1

And I agree with Marteen that then the trunk should be the next 1.9.

Nicolas