ant-dev mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop JDK 1.4 after 1.8.3
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:29:44 GMT
Sorry to make things more complicated, but I'd say that if we ever would release Ant 1.8.4,
it should still have JDK1.4 support.
But that shouldn't stop us to move forward and drop JDK1.4 support in trunk, meaning that
if ever Ant 1.8.4 is released the fixes should be merged and backported from trunk to the
JDK_1.4 branch (or ANT_1.8.x branch or whatever name we give it)

So:
-0 to drop JDK1.4 support for Ant 1.8.4+
+1 to drop JDK1.4 support for Ant 1.9, and after 1.8.3 is branched we permit trunk sources
to assume JDK5+

Maarten

________________________________
 From: Jesse Glick <jesse.glick@oracle.com>
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:42 PM
Subject: [VOTE] Drop JDK 1.4 after 1.8.3

As suggested in 1.8.3 thread, I propose we drop JDK 1.4 support in trunk after Ant 1.8.3 is
released. It is long past EOL <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html>
and cumbersome to even get installed for testing. (Note that JDK 5 is also past EOL, but I
am not proposing dropping JDK 5 support in this vote.)

Switching trunk sources to assume JDK 5 would, among other things, permit use of generics
to make code clearer. It is also possible that annotations could be used to document tasks/types
and their configuration. And of course there are various API enhancements that may be of use;
a search for "jdk1.5" in build.xml shows some things that could be simplified, and there is
likely more that would be used if it were easy to do so.

[X] +1: announce that 1.8.3 will be the last version of Ant to support JDK 1.4, and after
it is branched, permit trunk sources to assume JDK 5+, updating CI jobs accordingly
[ ] ±0: not sure, maybe continuing to support JDK 1.4 is useful, leave it alone for now
[ ] -1: please no, we still need to support JDK 1.4 in 1.8.4 or 1.9