ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Running Ant with a remote buildfile
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:03:36 GMT
cederberg@gmail.com wrote on 11/08/2011 01:59:23 AM:

> Thought it would be neat to setup or compile projects with a remote
> buildfile. Like this:
>
> #> ant -f http://www.myproject.org/setup-1.0.xml
>
> So I hacked up some support for it in the following GitHub branch:
> https://github.com/cederberg/ant
>
> Seems to work, but I haven't really used it or tested it properly yet.

It's an interesting feature but I'm not sure I would never let any of the
products that I build do this.

Who is controlling that remote resource? Who is ensuring that it's not
deleted, moved or changed two years down the road & thus breaking the
ability to recreate old builds? Some projects don't care about the ability
to recreate old builds & for them these concerns aren't on their radar. If
you do care about recreatibility then, IMO, using this feature is asking
for trouble.