ant-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Noack <rai...@noacks.net>
Subject Re: difference between unzip task and unzip executable
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:37:02 GMT
Hi Justin,

sorry, but your question was a little hard to understand which might be
the reason, that you got no answer until now.

The reason for your problem is, that ant resolves path-like structures
when it is parsing the build.xml - file and drops irrelevant entries.
but your path only becomes relevant after you'd unzipped src.zip. (which
happens later on execution-time)
you can evaluate this as the reason by unzip first (manually) then run
ant with your build.xml. (comment out delete and unzip tasks) -> should
work as expected.

There are some workarounds:
1. the hard and ugly way: run ant twice (may be controlled by a batch file).
2. more ant-friendy: use <ant>-task for the <javadoc>-task.
3. try the new ant 1.8.2. feature (see snip from manual path-like
structures below , i didn't try it out until now)

/"Since Ant 1.8.2/ the location attribute can also contain a wildcard in
its last path component (i.e. it can end in a "*") in order to support
wildcard CLASSPATHs introduced with Java6. Ant will not expand or
evaluate the wildcards and the resulting path may not work as anything
else but a CLASSPATH - or even as a CLASSPATH for a Java VM prior to Java6."

hope that helps

cheers

rainer

Am 07.11.2011 20:52, schrieb Justin Georgeson:
> I think it stripped the attachment, so I put it here
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?a1snm5i1n7tsmdx

incorrect usage. Apologies if that's what it turns out to be.

> I've broken it down into a very basic build.xml and single source code file. The build.xml
has a single target to unzip, and run javadoc. I've attached a bz2 archive of the build.xml,
the source file, and a -debug log of using the unzip task and relying on the src.zip having
been expanded with the native OS unzip command before running. The single source code file
implements the javax.naming.Context interface. When run as-is (build-internal-unzip.log) the
javadocs do not inherit from javax.naming.Context. If you comment out lines 6 and 7 from build.xml
and run 'unzip -d jdk ${JAVA_HOME}/src.zip' and then build (build-external-unzip.log) the
javadocs do inherit from javax.naming.Context. I've tried using 'jar xvf ${JAVA_HOME}/src.zip'
and that has the same result as using the<unzip>  task. The javax/naming/Context.java
file is the same (compared MD5 checksums) no matter how I uncompress src.zip.

the<unzip>  in a separate target that only does the unzip, ran that target by itself,
and then ran ant a second time for the javadoc target and it still fails. I don't understand
what the problem can be when everything says the contents of the files are identical. Even
if I use the<unzip>  task to put the contents of src.zip in the 'src' folder that my
source code is in, there's no javadoc inheritance.

any packages matching my packagenames parameter (running with -verbose says it "doesn't contain
any packages, dropping it"). If I run 'unzip -d ${BUILD_DIR}/docs/jdk ${JAVA_HOME}/src.zip'
in the shell before running Ant (and the target just assumes the folder is there) everything
works right. I've run a 'diff -qr' on the result of both unzip methods and no differences
are found, even 'rsync -acv' says they're the same

> This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information
and delete all copies of this message.