ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <>
Subject Re: Running Ant with a remote buildfile
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:45:43 GMT

Le 8 nov. 2011 à 15:03, Jeffrey E Care a écrit :

> wrote on 11/08/2011 01:59:23 AM:
>> Thought it would be neat to setup or compile projects with a remote
>> buildfile. Like this:
>> #> ant -f
>> So I hacked up some support for it in the following GitHub branch:
>> Seems to work, but I haven't really used it or tested it properly yet.
> It's an interesting feature but I'm not sure I would never let any of the
> products that I build do this.
> Who is controlling that remote resource? Who is ensuring that it's not
> deleted, moved or changed two years down the road & thus breaking the
> ability to recreate old builds? Some projects don't care about the ability
> to recreate old builds & for them these concerns aren't on their radar. If
> you do care about recreatibility then, IMO, using this feature is asking
> for trouble.

This is my first thought too.

But sometimes I use Ant as a portable script runner more than as a build manager. And I see
at least one use case I would see this fit. To bootstrap something, a Java project for instance.
I would have somewhere remote an ant file which create a build.xml, an ivy.xml, create some
src/main/java, test, resources, create an ivysettings.xml, etc. Then each time I want to create
a project and start hacking, I would just launch ant -f

But yes again, I wouldn't recommend that use widely. Executing remote script can be quite
dangerous, an obvious malign script could contain a <delete dir="/" /> :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message