ant-dev mailing list archives

From Michael B Allen <iop...@gmail.com>
Subject pathelement triggers NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:58:32 GMT
Hello,

I'm posting this to dev instead of users because my best guess is that
this is a bug. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Consider the following target which runs a Java program MakeFoo.class:

<target name="foo">
    <java classname="MakeFoo">
        <classpath>
            <pathelement location="."/>
        </classpath>
        <arg line="-o foo -d 'maken some foo'"/>
    </java>
</target>

This generates the following exception:

$ ant foo
Buildfile: /some/path/to/build.xml

foo:
     [java] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecuteJava.execute(ExecuteJava.java:194)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java.run(Java.java:771)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java.executeJava(Java.java:221)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java.executeJava(Java.java:135)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java.execute(Java.java:108)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:291)
     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
     [java]     at
     [java]     at
     [java]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:390)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:411)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1399)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1368)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1251)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:809)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:217)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:280)
     [java]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:109)
     [java] Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider
     [java]     at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
     [java]     at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecuteJava.execute(ExecuteJava.java:135)
     [java]     ... 21 more
     [java] Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.findClassInComponents(AntClassLoader.java:1361)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.findClass(AntClassLoader.java:1311)
     [java]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.loadClass(AntClassLoader.java:1070)
     [java]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
     [java]     ... 24 more
     [java] Java Result: -1

Java and Ant versions are pretty much the latest:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_27"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode)
$ ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.8.2 compiled on December 20 2010

And I know from using strace that Ant is actually using Sun's Java and
not openjdk.

If I remove the pathelement directive, the build works.

The com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider class is in
${JAVA_HOME}/lib/jsse.jar and that jar is present.

So it seems Ant does not load jsse.jar when using pathelement. Why?

I would appreciate it if someone has a work-around for me. I need to
specify a bunch of jars in the classpath using fileset and once I do
that I need to add '.' so that the program itself is in the classpath.
But once I do this pathement triggers the jsse.jar problem. And
obviously I don't want to add a jsse.jar dep in the build.xml. So I'm
stuck. Please help.

Mike