ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seek Feedback on ANT/IVY enhancement for incremental multi-module build (a buildlist alternative)
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 03:57:29 GMT
On 2011-10-12, Richard Mauri wrote:

> Please comment on a couple enhancements relating to performing an
> optimized multi-module incremental build.

<snip/>

> So to recap:

> While actually doing the DFS in the dependency DAG, identify leaf
> components and call out to a module that:
> a) performs the module build
> b) calls out the analysis modules that:

>    b1) checks binary compatibility of latest artifact vs. prior artifact
> and sets a flag that influences whether the next module in the DAG
> traversal needs to be transitively rebuilt.

I understand why binary compatibility may be relevant for a "should I
recompile" type of questions, but if you'd also run the tests then they
could very well break even if the changes to the dependency are binary
compatible.  Maybe you have some other sort of QA mechanism that runs
all your tests anyway.

>    b2) update the Java pkg to owning module index again by leveraging
> BCEL to keep

>    b3) validates the artifact's external first-order dependencies from
> byte code analysis match what's declared in ivy.xml - optionally fail
> the build.

> I think that captures the gist of it.

Sounds interesting and certainly makes sense.

> I'm having a hard time explaining to the VP's why nobody else has
> thought or implemented this. Any helpful feedback on that is
> appreciated.

Most likely most people working on Ant simply don't have to deal with
build trees as big as you and simply don't have the experience.  In many
cases I'd expect your analysis steps to take more time than "simply
rebuild the dependees".  Your approach only starts to make sense once
the build reaches a certain complexity.

Stefan