ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IvyDE updatesite and the cleanup of www.apache.org/dist
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:19:58 GMT
On 2011-09-26, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> Le 26 sept. 2011 à 06:04, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

>> On 2011-09-25, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

>>> I suggest we change our updatesite to be P2 only, thus requiring
>>> Eclipse 3.5. But for those who still have an Eclipse 3.4, they will
>>> still be able to install IvyDE, but the manual way [2].

>> Could there be some way to provide an additional 3.2 compatible page
>> that only linked to the old releases at archives.a.o?  And a page for
>> 3.4 that only installs the latest version from the mirror network.

> I guess this is doable. But this bring complexity in our build and in
> our release process.

Understood.  At least the 3.2 page for old releases should be static and
not need to be touched on new releases, though.

> With the P2 repository, I think we will be able to have a single point
> of entry for the end user (the current updatesite url). This main repo
> would reference other p2 repositories on the mirrored servers, and
> other p2 repositories on the archive. On the mirrored ones, there will
> be one repo of the latest ivy release, another repo for the latest
> ivyde release.

Even though I don't understand the details, it sounds reasonable and I
trust you.  I can't judge the merits of p2 over old style repositories
myself and will leave the decision to those who actually know a bit
about Eclipse.

Stefan