ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy and reusing (resolved) dependency information
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:21:23 GMT

Le 2 juin 2011 à 00:40, Chris Nokes a écrit :

> I've been reviewing both Ivy and Maven features related to dependency
> management.
>
> Maven has a dependency management section.  In this section, dependencies with
> rules (e.g. exclusions) can be setup.  This information can then be referenced
> by child POMs by only including org#module as a dependency.  The revision and
> rules for that dependency are inherited from the parent.  Since Maven 2.0.9, the
> import scope was introduced to allow dependency management information to be
> referenced from any POM, not just the parent.
>
> In Ivy 2.1, I use a development time ivysettings.xml file in my stream and
> declare revision information there.  This allows all projects under development
> in that stream to have consistent revisions.  For example:
> ivysettings.xml
> junit.rev=4.8.2
>
> ivy.xml
> <dependency org="junit" name="junit" rev="${junit.rev}" />
>
> This works nicely.  Unfortunately it doesn't match Maven import or POM
> inheritance because I don't inherit dependency rules
> (excludes/includes/artifacts).  Even the inheritance for revision is nice, you
> only need to configure org#module in the child.
>
> Ivy 2.2 introduces parent Ivy files with extends tag.  If I understand
> correctly, the child files inherits all dependencies.  Considering 1 parent file
> in the stream for several modules under development, inheriting all dependencies
> is not what I am interested in.  And I don't really want to manage "the UI layer
> parent file" and the "domain layer parent file".  I want 1 parent file to define
> the architecture dependencies for all modules in the stream, but let the
> children choose which dependencies they use.  So I guess I could simply be
> asking, can Ivy replicate Maven's import feature?
>
> However, I don't really think Maven's POM Inheritance or import scope is what I
> want either.  If I understand Maven's parent POM/import feature, the
> responsibility for conflict resolution is on the POM author.
>
> I've had this idea for a couple years now regarding multi-module builds, I want
> to declare all external module dependencies in a single ivy file, we'll call
> that the external-modules-ivy.xml.  I then want Ivy to resolve that module.
> Because the external-modules-ivy is resolved, special rules
> (include/exclude/artifact) are applied and conflicts resolved.  So far so good
> ... all normal Ivy.  Then from my child ivy module under development, when I
> declare a dependency to an external module I want the dependency branch to be
> obtained from a subset of information in the external-modules-ivy report.  For a
> visualization, consider a module section in an Ivy Report.html, and now consider
> "importing a resolved module section".  All modules under development are
> guaranteed to use the same revision of external modules because Ivy performed
> conflict resolution before the dependency was introduced.  Finally, this could
> [...]

This make me think of the way Eclipse plugins and OSGi Bundle in general are developed. Because
of the indirection it exists between the Import-Package requirement and the actual resolved
bundle, developing an Eclipse plugins is always done on a "target platform". A target platform
is basically an Eclipse install in which there is a bunch of Eclipse plugins jars. So The
resolve of a bundle in development is done not against a repository of jar but a subset (and
already resolved) of jars.
I even think that dependency management should probably evolve to that kind of resolve workflow.
I did a french presentation about it at the Toulouse Jug [1].

Implementation wise, I don't know how to do it yet. Maybe the xml resolve report file could
help. It is created on an ivy resolve against a repository. Maybe we can have additional ant
tasks which would extract paths from that file.

Nicolas

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/hibnico/mavenivy-vs-osgi-toulouse-jug-26052011