ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Plante <rpla...@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject order of dependencies returned by getDependencies(), artifactreport
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:37:07 GMT
Hi developers,

Is there an intended order that can be assumed in the array of
dependencies that are returned by ResolveEngine.getDependencies()?

I am hoping, for example, that the artifactreport Ant Task returns the
dependencies consistently in "directness" order; in particular, I would
like to be able to iterate (backwards) through the list such that each
artifact depends only on artifacts that have already been seen in the
list.

My few experiments so far (including with a DAG dependency structure)
indicate that this is indeed the case; however, I haven't been able to
find anything in the documentation that explicitly says this will be the
case.  Perusing the code, it looks like the order that artifactreport
provides is determined by the order provided by
ResolveEngine.getDependencies() (yes?).  The javadoc is silent on the
issue of order; however, code and code comments indicate care taken to
sort and preserve an order of the results.

Can anyone comment on the intent?

FYI, I'm looking at using Ivy to manage a stack of software that includes
both java and non-java packages.  Some of these, for example, are
GNU-style built via configure-make-install.  I want to be able to actually
build the packages (via ant wrapper scripts) as dependencies, and I need
to do this bottom-up in dependency order.

thanks,
Ray