ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject An new kind of cache for Ivy
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:38:17 GMT
Hi,

I am starting to have Ivy be able to understand some Eclipse updatesite. I am now facing issues
with the size of the downloaded metadata. So the next step is to put these files in a cache.

I had the same issue with the obr resolver. I did resolve this but with a kind of work around.
I used the repositoryCacheManager associated with the resolver and make the obr xml descriptor
an artifact in a special organisation+module. See the method init in OBRResolver [1].

For this kind of metadata, which are a sort of per "repository" or per resolver data rather
the module data, we may need a specific cache for repository level data. I think this would
also be helpful if one day we want to support some maven repository index [2].

But then I am wondering how should I manage the key for the entry in the cache. I am starting
to think of a hash of the url of the resource to store. Would it be sufficient ? Should I
also add the resolver name, or the resolver type ?

Nicolas

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/core/trunk/src/java/org/apache/ivy/osgi/obr/OBRResolver.java
[2] http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/dot-index/