ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Ivy virtual dependencies
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:00:07 GMT

Le 18 avr. 2011 à 11:50, aditsu a écrit :

> Hi, is it possible in Ivy to define a dependency that can be satisfied by any
> one of several modules?
> Specifically, the dependency would refer to certain functionality required
> by the current module, and other modules would declare that they
> satisfy/implement that functionality.
> The concept is similar to "virtual packages" in various Linux distros.
> This "virtual dependency" would not refer to any specific piece of code,
> except it could default to one implementation if no other module that
> satisfies the dependency is pulled through the other dependencies.

Ivy doesn't support that kind of dependency per se.

But I had a similar case when implementing the OSGi support for Ivy. In OSGI, each bundle
have a symbolic name and a version, which map well on Ivy's organisation+name+revision. But
each bundle can expose its packages (sort of declaring its API), and can requires a package.
Hence it can requires an implementation of an API. This is the same kind of indirection you
describe.

To implement the OSGi support, I implemented a special resolver to which has the knowledge
of a entire repository and can thus find a concrete module for a requirement. This is kind
of experimental what I implemented because this is sort of fooling Ivy core and its model.
Maybe a proper implementation is to make Ivy aware of such indirection, but this might be
some tough job.

Nicolas