ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: list iteration (was: svn commit: r1066963 ...)
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:53:14 GMT
On 02/17/2011 11:30 PM, Kevin Jackson wrote:
> I tried to introduce some micro-optimizations
> (pretty much like these) into the Tomcat codebase 8 years ago, but was
> met with 'meh why bother?' responses as the thinking was that the vm
> would pretty much make optimizations pointless.  I suppose it depends
> on where the hotspots are.

And for a tool like Ant, it is unlikely that iterating a vector is consuming any measurable
proportion of execution time, unless for some reason this particular vector is
enormous or you are scanning it many thousands of times. Most of the time will be spent waiting
for disk I/O, or CPU in some tool like javac. If you actually run a
profiler on some typical loads and ignore unavoidable overhead (such as logically necessary
file stats), usually you find some weird and vaguely embarrassing problem that
you would never have guessed otherwise.