ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1066963 - in /ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools: ant/ ant/taskdefs/ ant/taskdefs/cvslib/ ant/taskdefs/email/ ant/taskdefs/optional/ ant/taskdefs/optional/depend/ ant/taskdefs/optional/depend/constantpool/ ant/taskdefs/optional
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 04:54:42 GMT
On 2011-02-18, Kevin Jackson wrote:

> Interesting discussion - I tried to introduce some micro-optimizations
> (pretty much like these) into the Tomcat codebase 8 years ago, but was
> met with 'meh why bother?' responses as the thinking was that the vm
> would pretty much make optimizations pointless.  I suppose it depends
> on where the hotspots are.

In Tomcat's case there is another difference.  Tomcat is most likely a
long running process (and you should be using the server VM).  The JIT
can and will be able to collect more data and introduce more aggressive
optimizations over time.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message