ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject svnpubsub for the Ant and Ivy sites
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:21:27 GMT
As you may know, the infra team has developed a CMS [1]. I am not suggesting to change the
way we are editing our doc and use this new CMS, because actually our workflow to publish
content on the web is very close to the CMS one.

In Ant:
* we edit some file if xdocs and commit them
* we generate the corresponding html in docs and commit them
* go on people.apache.org and svn up
In Ivy and IvyDE:
* we edit some xooki-aware html files and commit them
* we generate the html files and commit them
* go on people.apache.org and svn up

As the infra says [2], having the html files on people.a.o is not very secure and seems to
consume lots of resources. So they are suggesting to using svnpubsub.
I didn't find a proper doc about svnpubsub, but as far as I can tell, as soon as the web pages
are in the asf svn, it publish the docs live as soon as there is a commit, matters of few
seconds (or minutes I don't remember, at least far less than via the rsync on people).

So I suggest that we say to the infra team that our sites are there:
* https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk/docs/
* https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy/site/target/
and in our workflow we skip the last part of going on people.a.o and svn up.

So this will speed up the time to publish our web sites and save some resources on people.a.o.

WDYT ?

Nicolas

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/the_asf_cms
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#minotaur