ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release of ant 1.8.2
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 00:12:13 GMT
On 15/12/2010 10:55 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2010-12-15, Paul King wrote:
>
>> This is probably enough to reproduce it:
>
> Yes, it is, thank you Paul.
>
>> <project>
>>    <target name="foo">
>>      <java classname="org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher" fork="true">
>>        <classpath path="${java.class.path}"/>
>>        <arg value="-Dbar=${bar}"/>
>>      </java>
>>    </target>
>> </project>
>
> The error message is created by the forked Ant process, not the one
> executing the build file.  You would see the same if you used
>
> ant -Dbar=${bar}
>
> (with proper shell escaping in place, that is).  Properties specified on
> the command line via -D and -propertyfile can now use other properties
> in their values.  Prior to Ant 1.8.2 they were not expanded.
>
> What you see really is a border case that only happens because you use
> the same property name in your build file and the property use pass to
> the forked Ant process.
>
> I'm not even sure how to document the situation 8-)

Yes, I guess it is a bit unusual. We were running into memory problems so
our build calls back to itself for just one target with a cut down set of
properties. In any case, it sounds like the change isn't too wide spread.
So maybe not release-note worthy after all.

Thanks for the new release.

Cheers, Paul.