ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: issues with ant
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:52:03 GMT
On 11/11/2010 03:35 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> javac should do what Ant does for it in the Java5 case.  If the
> user only specifies -target but not -source, assume the user wanted the
> same version as well (and vice versa).

Probably would be beneficial. I can file an issue for it in the Java bug tracker. But there
may be compatibility issues with making a change like that, too.

> I wasn't complaining about JDBC breaking backwards compatibility - I
> understand it has to be done from time to time.

Well, they could have simply introduced Driver2 extends Driver for the new methods, and checked
instanceof Driver2 before calling them. Fully compatible, simple, no need
for reflection (well technically instanceof + cast are reflective, but no java.lang.reflect.*).
Too late.

>> your best bet is to use java.lang.reflect.Proxy.
>
> Never thought about that.  Wouldn't that cause problems for performance
> critical implementations

Proxy shouldn't be too bad; a proxy class is generated when you create the proxy, so each
method call just gets one indirection AFAIK. Method.invoke is a bit trickier -
it runs "interpreted" a few times, and then if you keep on calling it, does some bytecode
generation to make an fast "inlined" method handle.