ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: class BuildTimeoutException extends BuildException
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:34:18 GMT
On 10/27/2010 06:01 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> 4. we leave the error strings alone for fear of [...fear itself?]
>
> #4 irritates me, I'd like some details about which subprocess got
> killed, but if we are searching for the string in Ant's own codebase,
> then we can be confident that others will be doing the same trick as well.

Possible hack: leave Throwable.detailMessage ~ getMessage() alone, but add extra fields &
getters for the info about the subprocess, and override getLocalizedMessage() to
include that information. Then the richer info will be shown in a stack trace, but other code
checking e.getMessage() will not be broken. The only problem would be
foreign code checking e.toString(), since this also uses getLocalizedMessage(), but I will
bet people would naturally look at getMessage() instead.