ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Import Bushel into Ivy
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:04:54 GMT
Since there is no objection, I have started to prepare the import.

I have prepared the code to be imported and attached it here:

The code is just a zip of the svn branch here:
https://bushel.googlecode.com/svn/branches/apache-import/

When I was preparing the code, I have found files which are EPL licensed [1]. These files
were imported from Eclipse cvs tree. They help implement the OSGi specification.
I have read carefully the Apache documentation about EPL compatibility with the ASL [2]:
* these .profile files are easily editable, not binary
* they related to the OSGi specification, but they are not enforced by the specification,
it is only an implementation "helper".
So my conclusion is that they are not well suited for Apache inclusion. So I just removed
them. I'll see in the Apache Felix community is they have such similar files.
If you think I am wrong, I will be happy to reinclude them after the import.

So now I need to fill the software grant and ask the two other Bushel committers to do so
too.
And I would need somebody who has enough karma to help doing all the stuff about the Incubator's
IP Clearance.
Any volunteer ?

thanks in advance,
Nicolas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/source/detail?r=133
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Le 13 oct. 2010 à 15:38, Nicolas Lalevée a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.
>
> On the technical part.
> Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand the
different kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository descriptor OBR (OSGi
Bundle Repository). So the import will make those resolver part of Ivy core.

> On the legal part.
> The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three developpers: Alex
Radeski, Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two others, they are joining me in this
request and are willing to sign any software grant paper necessary.
> As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear. Ivy will
then support some OSGi feature.

> Deeper in the technical part.
> As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve specification.
But I have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill some requirement like making
some transition from a ivy/maven based resolution mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the
reverse. With that respect, we shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I
suggest that we would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it,
we will see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real state.