ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Import Bushel into Ivy
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:38:33 GMT
Hi all,

I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.

On the technical part.
Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand the different
kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository descriptor OBR (OSGi Bundle Repository).
So the import will make those resolver part of Ivy core.

On the legal part.
The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three developpers: Alex Radeski,
Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two others, they are joining me in this request
and are willing to sign any software grant paper necessary.
As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear. Ivy will then
support some OSGi feature.

Deeper in the technical part.
As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve specification. But I
have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill some requirement like making some
transition from a ivy/maven based resolution mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the reverse.
With that respect, we shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I suggest
that we would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it, we will
see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real state.
This might sound quite pessimistic, but I find this feature exiting enough to bring it into
Ivy core.

WDYT ?

Nicolas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/