ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: support for symlinks
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:19:48 GMT
On 2010-10-27, Max Birkoff wrote:

> I would like to add support for symlinks to:
>   org.apache.tools.tar.TarEntry and friends.

I'd recommend you'd put that effort into the tar classes in Apache
Commons Compress <http://commons.apache.org/compress/> instead.  The tar
and zip classes of Ant are really only a subset of the compress classes
and I'd expect Ant's "copy" of the classes will only get the parts
merged that are useful to the existing Ant tasks.

Personally I would prefer enhancing the compress Antlib
<http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/compress/index.html> rather than the core
tasks as well - the core tasks carry to much baggage of backwards
compatibility ti keep IMHO.

> I have examined the archives at:
>   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/
> and cannot see the matter discussed there.

There is at least one bugzilla issue raised for it.

> Before sending patches, I would like to determine if there is a reason
> that this has not been supported in the TarEntry class;

Those who have been working on the code didn't need symlink support and
those who needed it never provided patches 8-)

> it appears that the proper constants are present in TarConstants and I
> can get at the linkflag through the writeEntryHeader method.

It is true that it doesn't seem to be too difficult.

Stefan